Thursday, June 30, 2011

Lost in translation: entry 1

People speak English in Australia, right?

Well, yes, but Australian slang sometimes leaves me baffled.

So, every now and then, I'll share a few phrases and words with you in entries called "Lost in translation."

First up: stubby.

A noun; technically meaning a short bottle of beer.

But "stubby" can mean any bottled beer.

It works like this:

Me: "What are ya having to drink?"

Patron: "Stubby of VB, thanks."

Next, fortnight.

A noun; conveys a time period of 14 days.

Australians use this word the same way Americans would the words, "two weeks."

For example: Jen and I have been in Charleville a fortnight.

And, in those 14 days, I've learned a fair amount of slang so check back later for more!

2 comments:

  1. Were I there with you, we'd have a stubby together! Happy July 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a bit of an eye-opener when you go to a country that also speaks English and yet, you haven't got a clue what they mean. :P I've not been to Australia myself but I've got friends in America and there have been times where I get off the phone from them and realise I've understood very little of what they were saying. And it's not an accent thing, it's a language thing.

    It's amazing to think that the same language can differ so much from country to country. Personally, I love it. It's not like you have to bring in a translation company to make yourself understood, you can usually figure it out and it's always a lot of fun doing so.

    ReplyDelete