Thursday, May 26, 2011

Songs of Australia

One way to know you love a place--or at least have deeply connected with a country--is if their national songs put a lump in your throat.

The Seekers' "I Am Australian" does this to me.

It's not really the same feeling I get when I listen to patriotic American songs but its similar. I think it happens because when we know the history behind the words, the meaning of the music is enhanced.

I love "I Am Australian" so much I learned to play it today on guitar--it's not hard because it just uses typical folk chords.

Maybe the best thing about this patriotic song is that the Seekers are making a statement about unity and national pride not built exclusively from war. I also really appreciate the fact that the song recognizes the original owners of the land, the Aborigines.

The Australian Post commissioned stamps of the band (pictured in this post).

Have a listen to it, if you're Australian or you've ever lived in Australia it will probably touch your heart.

If you're curious...

Listen to their national anthem (and see lyrics) here.

And their unofficial anthem, "Waltzing Matilda," here. I really like "Waltzing Matilda" too!

No comments:

Post a Comment