Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Only a month to go--Apollo Bay slides onto the agenda


Only a month until Jen and I are leaving for L.A., where we'll spend a few days before hopping over to Sydney.

So far, I feel I'm keeping pace with the things I need to do before leaving:

Visa obtained-check
Flights booked-check
Pack purchased-check
Organized to Couchsurf in L.A.-check
Organized place to stay in Sydney- ....
Set up bank account and TFN- ....
Loads of research on all the places we want to go-CHECK!

My most recent research has been about the Great Ocean Road. This was the first excursion I took during my first trip to Oz and I remember all the lookout points and natural surroundings just being amazing!


This area is known for the London Bridge (the middle collapsed a few years ago), the 12 Apostles (there are only eight), shipwreck sites and cozy towns like Lorne and Apollo Bay.

I saw a posting on a backpacker job site for a hostel in Apollo Bay looking for travelers to stay for at least one month to work two hours a day in the hostel. In exchange you get free accommodation, breakfast, internet, access to washers and--here's what Jen's excited for--SURFBOARDS!

So I e-mailed the hostel owner to inquire about working there in June as our first home/job location. Very nice man, the owner welcomed me and Jen to come visit. He said working backpackers often supplement their hostel work with other jobs in the town at cafes, shops or pubs.

Being that June is winter in Australia, though, work in the town may be hard to come by. Apollo Bay's main money-maker, besides fishing, is tourism and the winter weather keeps most tourists away.

So, Apollo Bay is an option but it might be hard to find paying work here.

Take a look at some pictures of the Great Ocean Road and Apollo Bay and you'll see why it's so hard to resist, even know job prospects are slim! The picture on this post is one I took back in 2009 at the start of the Great Ocean Road.

BootsnAll even ranked Apollo Bay as one of the World's 8 Most Beautiful Coastal Towns, making the list with Santorini, Greece and Knysna, South Africa!

No comments:

Post a Comment